[OSList] Knowledge sharing open space?

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 9 08:52:45 PDT 2011

Nancy,

Makes a lot of sense to me!  Would love to know more about what you mean by
less "line of sight" and "more ongoing knowledge sharing behaviors and
practices over time."

For first timers in Open Space especially and also for others who are more
familiar, I often feel that the conversations originating from topics that
people care deeply about, on which they convene others to join,  can be
exhilarating, exhausting and intense.  Capturing the true essence of those
conversations in the reports is almost impossible and while I trust that
each will have a cellular memory  of what they heard and spoke, I feel that
we all want more.  A "more" that is totally in the spirit of Open Space,
self-directed and self-organized, not facilitated, led or interpreted by
others.

Often, it is so foreign for people to engage as they do in Open Space,
foreign to the typical ways that we know: meetings, workshops, conferences,
etc. etc. I feel that people leave with a memory of something that happened
that was so extraordinary and while the photos and documents do capture some
of what took place, the way of anchoring this initial experience and
building on it is not clear. Certainly, thinking and planning ahead as part
of the pre-work with an intent to open space in the future is one way.though
not always easy. As one Engineer PHD Scientist said once during morning
news:  "You can't know Open Space until you experience it".   The conundrum
then is that it's not easy to discuss and plan future open spaces with a
sponsoring host or team when you've never experienced Open Space in the
first place. Regardless, I keep trying to build "what happens next" as part
of the pre-work conversations, inspired much by Lisa Heft whose passion for
pre-work knows no bounds.

Cheers on a Sunny Saturday in Florida,

Suzanne