[OSList] Circus Open Space

Matilda Leyser mleyser at mac.com
Tue Apr 5 16:54:53 PDT 2011

Hello all, and a bow to Harold.

I wanted to let the list know that I facilitated my first large open space on Saturday - for Circus! I have done several little ones (and many involving just me and Phelim and some
Monkeys!) but this was the first one I had held for a big group. About 130 people.

Before I met Phelim I worked as an aerialist (trapeze artist) for ten years. Meeting Phelim and encountering Open Space all formed part of my climbing back down to the ground- it made earth seem more appealing. I have been earthbound now for 3-4 years so it was a wonderful and big thing for me to bring my learning since leaving the circus world back to that community.

There was a fantastically diverse turn out: students and elders, traditional and contemporary circus were all represented.

A sample of session titles for you:

-Circus can't tell a story?
-What's the best trick you've ever seen?
-Why do we never feel good enough?
-The space between 10 minutes and 1 hour
-If circus gets well funded and organised where will all the freaks and weirdos go to play?
- corporate whore v serious artist?

And many others....

People asked 'can we do this again?' in closing circle. My first ever aerial teacher who must surely be approaching 70 said he felt re-inspired and I had to hold it together.

Lastly I would like to share what helped me at the start when I felt most terrified. Phelim told me to walk the circle ten times slower than I thought was slow and that reminded me of the last aerial piece I made: it was on a cloud swing (a rope swing) and I spoke during it and described what it felt like. It began with a haiku that went like this:

Oh snail,
Climb Mount Fuji
But slowly.

After reciting that to the group and walking a slow circle, it turned out it was a smooth downhill slide all the way as everyone got on with it - seasons, marketplace, work....

Thank you
Matilda  x

Sent from my iPhone