self organized learning

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 14:09:51 PDT 2010

David, back in the late 70's I led a pilot program for the Scottsdale
Girls Club called "Self Structure".  The girls met at the beginning of
each session to plan their own program for the two weeks.  We expected
the high school girls to enjoy this but what about the 6 year olds?
By the end of the summer, you should have seen how quickly those
little girls could create their own program.

One of my favorite creations was from a group of middle school girls
who decided they wanted to go to learn proper manners so that they
could all go to a fancy restaurant at the end of the two weeks.  When
they discovered this would use up their entire budget, they ask some
of the board members to volunteer to give them "Lady Training" so that
they would be prepared.  The board members were blown away because
they had offered "Etiquette" as one of the structured offerings but
could never fill that program.

The girls learned all about how to dress, how to order, which forks to
use, what to do with their elbows.  At the restaurant, you might have
thought they were royalty given their propriety and grace.  What gave
them away was that they spent an inordinate amount of time in the very
fancy bathrooms, using all the lotions and potions.

I hope you'll let us know how it goes in the "Self Structured Virtual
Leadership Development".

Warm wishes from 106 degrees in Phoenix,

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez
CWS - Collaborative Wisdom & Strategy
2717 E. Mountain Sky Avenue