Unconferences

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Sep 8 09:08:05 PDT 2010

Interesting also to note that we want so much for people to get the language right, but our language is pretty strange for the common person not involved in facilitation.  "Open Space"  "unconferencing" "barcamp" all of this is useful language for us, helps us to make distinctions between different processes.  But in the end, most people just want to get down to work and hopefully, if we've done well, they're attention is fully on the work and not so much on the process that is being used.

I forgive people deeply for mangling the names of things.  God knowns I'd be helpless in the tech world trying to get all the right terms for things.  And while I too make a point of teaching people what OST actually IS, I also encourage people to experiment in their hosting and facilitation.  The emerging facilitator plays with lots of different things, makes good choices and bad ones, gets things right and makes a hash of other things. I still do too.  To me the confusion about what is OST and what isn't is a sign that the thing has left the coop, that the use of OST has propagated widely amongst people who get it or even half get it.  All of that is a good thing, and in my experience when folks mess with Open Space and get it wrong, participants often correct them.

And on the flip side, let me just say that I have done several standard by the book, orthodox Open Space events and received stinging criticism from people for whom it just wasn't the right thing.  As we have said OST is a halfway technology.  I don't know what it is halfway too, but the more experiments that we have, so more trial and error that goes on, the better.  And if the language and names of things get skewered as a result, I'm not too worried about that.  As long as the best possible work is getting done, what we call it is always secondary for me.

Cheers,

Chris
----
Chris Corrigan