pre-planned sessions?

Raffi Aftandelian raffi_1970 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 27 15:18:22 PDT 2010

Queridos amigos,

Thank you Harold, Wendy, Jorge, and Harrison for your responses.

Wendy:
Yes, to clarify- these are "pre-designed" sessions. So, the Community
Bulletin Board is blank at the outset.

Harold:

Yes, I do make sure that there are enough session times, so scarcity of
breakout spaces is not an issue. What is an issue is do we really end up
having a truly emergent process?

Context-creation and personal preparation are invited beforehand. People are
invited to re-read the main Compassionate Communication book, and two
reflect ahead of the event on two questions inspired by what I've seen from
the Art of Hosting community (and from Peggy):

- What could this daylong gathering *be*? (i.e. if it were to really matter
in my own life what would it look like?)

- How do I feel called to contribute to making the above happen? (i.e. how
do i want to show up?)

re: "I've noticed that
sometimes people have a tendency to flock to the most charismatic
presenter, and then to recede into the background."

Indeed, this reminds me of one friend who refuses to ever participate in any
OST meeting because as he sees it in *any* gathering (even in OST) people
will flock to those people within the group that have the highest levels of
the neurotransmitter dopamine (if I'm not mistaken)-- so to extrapolate what
he sees: leadership is *never* truly emergent, rather it's biologically
pre-determined...

***

I've wondered if it would be appropriate in the opening to say something
like, "and if you came here today already knowing what you want to convene a
session around, i'd like to invite you to check with yourself for a moment--
and check and see what you *really* have a passion about?" But somehow,
adding words like that doesn't seem in the spirit of letting go of outcome...

abrazos,
Raphael