Youth Leaders

Pat Black patoitextiles at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 08:30:48 PDT 2010

I feel that way too, especially when I am teaching art.  It is my job to
listen deeply and make available material resources and the years of
experience I have working with tools so they can materialize their dreams.
 I love handing out tools and saying lets see what they can do.  My 1 year
old grandchild discovered his shadow this week and realized he could dance
with it.  He must have spent at least 3 minutes dancing with his shadow.  It
was the highlight of my week to witness it and a great time for him.  I
guess how I see my primary roll with my kids  is to be a witness, to be
present with the uncovering their own becoming.  This, of course, allows be
to get the world anew ,through their eyes, which kind of speaks a bit to
what Suzanne was getting on to with her wondering about pure joy and
curiosity.

One of the things I really appreciate about Open Space events with children
and adults both participating in is that kids get to share the platform with
adults but not as little wanna be adults.  They sit as themselves, as
children and bring with them all the special parts of that.  In my
experience the kids also appreciate having the space to be with adults in
this way as themselves.  Kids are often directed in space by adults.  Open
space gives them an opportunity to own the space equally and in a way that
they feel is appropriate for themselves. They don't get a lot of opportunity
to share the stage as a partner in the creation of the happenings and kids
like to be in the role of creator.  My experiences of it have always been
really exciting and lovely.

It has been a great discussion
Pat Black