Youth Leaders

Justin T. Sampson justin at krasama.com
Thu Oct 7 22:08:05 PDT 2010

Hi Tree,

I share your concerns about schools focusing on test scores and kids not
spending time enjoying cloud-gazing and such. Interestingly, I see those
problems as quite opposite to young folks getting involved in public life,
whereas you see them closely aligned.

For one thing, I don't think most adults are all that much more qualified
for public decision-making than teenagers. I'm not saying that most adults
are unintelligent; just that "decision-making ability" is not something I
see as particularly correlated with "being adult." Sure, I have lots more
facts in my head and more stories to tell, which are all very valuable. But
adults can also get set in our ways, and a fresh, youthful perspective can
shake things up and get us unstuck.

I'm sad to think of kids being pushed to be overachievers, get high test
scores, and rush through school into work. And somehow, at the same time,
"talking to adults about important matters" feels more akin to
"cloud-gazing" than any of that! Being on the board of an institute does
sounds pretty intense, but I would have loved to be on the board of my
church as a teenager, for example, and in retrospect I still think I would
have been a good addition.

Cheers,
Justin

P.S. You made the same typo as Ashley -- but I assume you both meant Jane
Goodall!