OST & Scientific Method

Brett Barndt barndtbrett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 10:07:03 PST 2010

Interesting debate about Academe.

At least in the US, it seems academics are beholden to the private money
sources that have rushed into to fill the engineered gap since 1980s. I
won't name any politicians here since they are merely paid tools acting for
their sponsors, and are therefore really irrelevant. I would rather drag the
consistent persistent ubiquitous sponsors into the daylight!

They don't want to do anything that will upset the status quo and the money
flows that flow therefrom! Open Space and everything like it is very
dangerous for them!

Just yesterday at Columbia a scholar asked "with all of this evidence from
the foreign policy archives, why do historians stick to the established
narrative?"  It doesn't even matter which narrative at this point. There are
so many. My pet peeve is Neo-Liberal and Monetarist economics. But, with
half the academic economists at the elite universities conveniently on the
FED payroll from time to time, what do we expect collectively from their
profession?

They'll be sorry one day when the 98% of Americans who have not been served
by their work the last 50 yrs, and their property holdings indisputably show
that fact, decide to really pull the plug on tax-exempt status for
universities that also accept money in service to the private sector! Econ,
political science, and sociology were the target departments in the famous
Lewis Powell memo!

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/corporate_accountability/powell_memo_lewis.html

Tax-exemption comes with public interest for 100% of citizens, not just 2%!
This compartmentalization game they play is reminiscent of the Imperial
Bureaucracy in Ancient China, or the CIA take your pick, and this orthodoxy
about "scientific method" is simply a ruse to avoid seeing what's really in
the mirror staring back! HA!

I'll be happy to follow this thread with pleasure!

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:

> Juan – I would not hold my breath. To the best of my knowledge, the
> academic community has totally avoided Open Space, even though there have
> been multiple OS held within the sacred walls of Academe. Just two weeks ago
> I helped the Arkansas State University to get on with their Strategic Plan.
> The lack of scientific evidence did not seem to bother them much. Of course
> you could offer him the opportunity for an academic scoop, if he has the
> courage. After all when you have done something in excess of 100,000 times
> in 140 countries, over 25 years – one might suspect that something useful
> has been going on. All without benefit of the wisdom of academia. Maybe
> someday they will catch up?
>

> Harrison
>

> Harrison Owen
>
> 7808 River Falls Dr.
>
> Potomac, MD 20854
>
> USA
>
> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> www.openspaceworld.com
>
> www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
>
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

Seek first to understand, then be understood. Stephen Covey