speaking from the center

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Fri Nov 19 02:44:34 PST 2010

A few years ago I badly strained my foot and could move about only in a
wheel chair... which I also did facilitating an open space with 200
highschool students on the issue of racism ("Me, a racist?" was the
theme). I did feel very relaxed being "de-elevated" and at the same
level with the students as I "walked" the circle.
Reflecting on that experience I now always take care to have a circle of
at least 10 meters in diameter so that I am not too close to the seated
participants, too towering as I walk (my habit is to walk it once or a
bit more than once, sometimes two times... changing my mode of movement
after that "focusing the group" part which I do with the idea that the
group begins to focus on itself... and eventually using the entire space
as a dancer would on a stage with the idea that it is a space that can
be used in all ways possible).

On prework: I do work intensively with the sponsor and the planning
group on all aspects of the event sometimes months before the OS event
itself with the result that I get to know them, they get to know me and,
of course, I also get to know about their theme and what it is they want
to achieve.
All that I now consider a side-effect.
What I am really interested in is that they craft their event and that
they are clear on their theme and on what they want to achieve.
I, however, focus on the myriad of things that I know support their
work: the space, the time, the material, the food, the documentation
technicalities, the public address system, the team, the briefing of the
sponsor, facilitating the planning meeting and the Next Meeting(s) after
the event... and, of course, getting myself into the mysterious mode of
"presence and invisibility".
Essentially, my relationship with the theme will not substitute their
passion for it. I respect it, yes. And my relationship with the people
which inadvertendly developes is much less essential than the spirit
that developes in the Planning Group, for instance. I love them, yes.
My experience is that me getting into the theme (more than even the
participants) or my relationship with the Planning Group becoming
intensive (more than the relationship between the members of the
Planning Group) can deflect the focus in a way that both my presence and
invisibility necessary for my focus on space and time for the forces of
selforganisation are deminished.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 412 resident Open
Space Workers in 71 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org