speaking from the center

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 08:03:25 PST 2010

Dear Eleder,

I just love your questions and the deep caring you have already towards the
participants.

When I first started facilitating, I knew and could feel the tension in the
room knowing that many and most people were sitting in a circle for the
first time, uneasy, scared and wondering what they would be asked to do.  I
seemed to absorb the pain of their nervousness as if I wanted to relieve
them of it.  Now because of something that Michael M. Pannwitz wrote once,
though I can't exactly remember what he said, I was able to let that go.

As time passes and with each Open Space that I have the privilege to be part
of, I now feel more relaxed and serene and I find myself more able to live
in the moment of it. Each time feels different and precious.

I'll admit however to feeling anxious and nervous in the days leading up to
the event. I find myself rehearsing over and over in my head those few brief
words that I say at the beginning or perhaps the unspoken words that I will
only think of which reflect my intention towards the participants. I think
of them, who they are and what they care about. I also use note cards that I
write over and over again beforehand with all of the Open Space instructions
even though I have done this many times. Somehow it's as if, I'm opening
space before I'm even there -- as if I'm meditating almost. Funny while I
hold those cards in my hands as I open space, I rarely refer to them.

I think of the gift that participants will receive through Open Space...a
gift of freedom and of choice. I think of the opportunity they will have to
announce their topic, to invite others to share in conversations on this
topic and to also take responsibility for what they are passionate about.

As I walk the circle, I don't really remember the faces even though I am
letting my eyes meet theirs. It seems to happen naturally.  I don't really
worry about the fact that my back is turned or not; I just want to convey
from my heart and by walking slowly that we will all be safe, and that this
will be fun.  I don't want to be the center of attention yet I know that my
own personality is part of this, as it is for each us who bring so much of
ourselves as we open, hold and close space.

And then Eleder if I worry about feeling nervous, I tell myself that it's
not about me and that I'm just human so being nervous is ok.  They will soon
forget any and all of that when they kneel in the circle and are writing
their topics.  I was really nervous when I started this work and the funny
thing is, the Open Space turned out just fine pretty much every time.

Addicted as I am now to this work that I love, I envy you Eleder for the
space that you will be opening soon.  You are offering a special gift and I
just know that it will be wonderful whatever happens.

:-}  Suzanne

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM, ELEDER AURTENETXE PILDAIN <
eleder.aurtenetxe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> How do you feel speaking from the centre for, let's say, 15 minutes when
> opening space?
>
> There's a small issue that makes me a bit uneasy: just knowing that I'll be
> all the time showing my back to some attendees. Do you *walk a bit around*to avoid it?
>
> What about *looking at people's eyes* when speaking? Do you do it
> consciously one by one around the circle?
> Do you perhaps look *far away *just to keep calmer?
>
> What are the *rituals* that help you enjoy this moment instead of feeling
> nervous?
>
> Those are some of the questions that are coming to my mind during the
> preparation of my next OS, next Friday.
>
> Warmly,
>
> Eleder
>
> BM31_ BILBAO: Mind Mapping-Open Space Technology-Creativity
>
>    - www.burumapak.blogspot.com
>
> Twitter: @Eleder_BM <http://twitter.com/Eleder_BM>

> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

Suzanne Daigle