OS and mediation

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Nov 15 20:59:38 PST 2010

I may be unclear on what you are saying or asking: mediation is
something that helps people articulate differences, hear each others'
stories, decide what is or is not common ground, and so on.  Many
different tools / processes can be used - something similar to
counseling, or Restorative Justice Circles, or guided conversations,
or many other processes.  Perhaps during a series of events or for a
specific reason Open Space may be the right tool, for other
situations, the wrong tool, I suspect. Those of you who specialize in
mediation will of course have more knowledge about these things.

And then there is conference design. Whether it is a mediators
conference or a youth activist conference or a doctors conference.

And I love what Bui said:

> But as with anything, it all depends on what you are trying to
> accomplish. Decide on the purpose first and then pick the tool.

To me that is good design.
Analyze objectives, desired outcomes, time available, space available,
context, participant numbers, what comes before and after and so on -
then select the tool(s) to best fit the need.

I have found, Arno, that it is best - when mixing traditional
conference (workshops, presentations, whatever) with some time also in
Open Space (the more time the better to let participants do their
thing) - it is really ideal to put the Open Space as the last part of
the conference.

1) Because participants can use that time to talk about new / emergent
things as well as to reflect on things they have learned or heard
earlier in the conference.

2) Because the Closing Circle of an Open Space can be a great
closure / closing reflection for a conference.

And 3) Because if conference attendees experience OS earlier in the
conference and then have to 'fit themselves into the shape of' a
traditional conference after that (sitting listening to a speaker,
listening in a workshop, listening to a panel presentation) - they can
get uncomfortable and feel their time is more useful self-organizing
and continuing to meet together to talk about what matters to them
(including wandering back out into the hallways to continue their
meaningful conversations that began in Open Space).

So for a mixed-format conference I always recommend that OS be the
final section...

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator