OST and PD (Positive Deviance)

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Nov 11 06:41:56 PST 2010

Alan --I can't say that I have ever used Positive Deviance (defined as my
friends Henri and Lisa might) - but being a positive character of a deviant
sort living in a self organizing world (there is no other) - I simply can't
imagine the circumstances where I would NOT be using PD. But don't tell a
soul. Anybody with PD has got to be suspect!

I joke - but seriously. As I understand it PD is a brilliant application of
a very ancient phenomenon - Anomaly. Anomalies, as you know are funny things
that happen that shouldn't according to the "accepted" view of things. The
word comes from the Greek "anomos" - which literally means "without the Law"
- or we might say outlaws. A perfect example is Open Space. Everybody
"knows" that given a complex problem - sitting in a circle, creating a
bulletin board, opening a market place will produce only disaster. Strangely
(anomalously) it doesn't.

More often than not, anomalies are byproducts of self-organization. The
technical word is emergence. As the system adapts to its environment,
strange things happen - the system does something it had never done before.
Probably most of these things are not useful - but a few are marvelously
adaptive, and suddenly the system has a new capability to deal with some
issue. The conventional wisdom looks at the new capability and says - that
just couldn't happen. Tragically the conventional wisdom usually tries to
eliminate the innovation because it is not part of the Standard Procedure.
The Smart Money (and Henri and Lisa have a lot of that) says, WOW!

Instead of spending hours and days designing solutions for new problems
which usually won't work very well, The Smart Money lets the system do all
the heavy lifting (create the innovation) and then claims the credit and
advertizes the result. Now that is real smart - And pretty much what we do
all the time with Open Space - which everybody knows is the ultimate scam.
The client does all the work, creates the solutions, and even writes the
report. This is known as Thinking of one more thing not to do!

So Open Space is PD and vice versa. No problem.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
<mailto:oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

 <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>