OST and PD (Positive Deviance)

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 21:47:16 PST 2010

Dear All

I am going to West Sumatra (different parts this time) in Indonesia next
week to continue the process of introducing OST to university lecturers and
students in the field of health care.

http://openspaceworld.ning.com/forum/topics/sewing-seeds-for-ost

One of my former PhD students and I will do this together. He will add his
considerable experience with PD which can be seen to be a complement to OST
in particular contexts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Deviance and
http://www.positivedeviance.org/about_pd/index.html

Which means that not only will participants become aware of how to engage
with communities about their perceived needs for health services. They will
also come to appreciate that there may already be effective strategies in
place within communities on which to build, eg local initiatives in child
care that health care practitioners would not know of unless they looked out
for them.

Further, how to encourage the invention of such strategies through
conversation, and story telling of successes elsewhere, about possibilities.

*I wonder if anyone has had experience in using OST in conjunction with
Positive Deviance? *

Along with our friends Henri Lipmanowicz, Lisa Kimball and Joelle Lyons
Everett, all of whom were present at the wonderful WOSonOS in Marysville,
near Melbourne, in 2002. * And who are among the contributors to the new
book 'Inviting Everyone - Healing Healthcare through Positive Deviance'.

Looking forward

Go well

Alan

* Sadly, as you may be aware, the lovely hotel which was our residential
venue and most of this country town were destroyed in a bush fire last year.