OST training and "certification" - the role of OSIs? (was: Re: [OSLIST] Open Space Facilitation: Making it Work! 28-30 Sep 2010, Utrecht, The Netherlands

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 11:18:36 PDT 2010

Harrison and all,

If an issue is aired several times, the only
conclusion that I see that one can come to is that (1) it addresses a
real concern of some people and that (2) it has not yet been
solved. Maybe (3) it has not yet been framed correctly, or (4)
it has not been presented, framed and solved in the correct space and
time. Or maybe it is addressed by people out of a public list with public
Archives, in ways that are, or not, correct. (if they are not public, only the
insiders can know about that - if they can, as often people only see what their
assumptions allow them to see).

That said, I have nothing against facilitators being
paid to Open Space - and paid not only (mainly) for the hours of the event, but
for the hours they really spent, from preparation to debriefing.

And I also don't have anything neither against
training, nor about how much it costs. After all it is probably what the
"market" is prepared to pay... I would prefer that no one could not
attend a training if one cannot pay the fee, but the majority of us do that. I
would also prefer that to be a genuine gift and not a "loan" that
have to be repaid (with or without an interest), in money or in
"work" (but this is only a matter of ethics and that change over time
- after all to pay "loans" in work or in kind is what happened to all
the servants in the middle ages...).

The point is that: OST has became mainstream and apparently
anyone can say "I am doing (or training) Open Space Technology", even
if one does not know anything about it, or combines it with incompatible methods,
etc. That worries me, as the future of OST worries me. And not because I want
to compete on that market, but only for the sake of the truth and of the sake
of aesthetics - only for the "elegance" of the minimalist foundations
of OST...

(By the way, I have also not anything against other
"facilitation methods", but I would prefer things not to be mixed.
Water, wine and oil are all liquids, but I don't think that mixing them to
create a good drink  is useful, and would not like to see someone mixing
wine with water ant sell that as "pure wine". On the contrary, mixing
gin with martini maybe ok, for those that like that mixing... (I don't, as I
prefer red wine). But I would like that mixing to be made clear. From where I
stand, OSlist and WOSonOS are to discuss OST, and not to discuss "facilitation
methods in general".

To make some clarity on what I said in the previous
post, there are at least two different meanings of "certification":
one is what Universities and some companies do: "after the completion of
this education or training the student/trainee is prepared to do so and
so". The second one is something that, at least in my country, is not done
by Universities or training companies, but by professional bodies - organized
communities of practice of the practitioners of a certain profession or method.
They don't certify if someone is very skilled or not at all. They only certify
that he follows accepted practices. It was this second meaning that I was
looking for, but maybe this is not again the correct time and place.

Indeed, I begin to wonder if this list is the appropriate
place to talk about that, or about many other things, as it seems to me that,
more and more, only what is "politically correct" is accepted and
there is no longer space for what seems "strange" or controversial.
When a community behaves like that, it begins dying, because it will never
learn and innovate anymore. Have you ever thought of many old timers that are
no longer contributing here, and the rate of replacement in this list? Many of
them are still active - where are they? Give it a thought.

Regards

Artur