Elders

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed May 19 14:46:57 PDT 2010

Chris - I have to take small issue with you. There was nothing hard or
difficult about what we (whoever we was) were doing. It was addictive, mind
blowing and totally exhilarating. We did not have a clue where we were going
and all the traditional sources said we were going in the wrong, or at least
a questionable direction. A good friend of mine in San Francisco co-authored
a book called, "Better Meetings" and it was (and might still be) the "bible"
on such matters. You know the drill - careful preparation, detailed agenda,
exquisite attention to who comes, and of course Facilitators in abundance.
Over a beer, he invited me to "do" an Open Space with his organization -
something about its future direction. Space opened and at the end his
partner in authorship walked out preceded by the words, "This is the biggest
pile of BS I have ever seen." My friend just sat there. And there was a
smile on his face. We were friends until he died several years ago (I guess
we are still friends) - and he never used the book again. Took the
royalties, I guess.

The total wonder and mystery of what we all experienced was worth whatever
difficulty there might have been - which I never noticed. Early on it became
very clear to me that you do not SELL Open Space. Non-starter - and to
repeat an old tale (Raffi!) Selling Open Space is just like teaching a pig
to sing. Annoys the pig and sounds awful. But you don't have to sell it.
Just be it, and do it. Clients came because they needed the space, had run
out of space, or something. And every moment was a learning moment.

Several years ago I met a marvelous lady, Ros Yalow - a physician and
physicist who had a major hand in the creation of MRI - which had something
to do with Nuclear Magnetic Resonance - whatever that is. Anyhow she got a
Nobel for her efforts, and we made a film about her and her science in which
the question was asked - "Ros, why do you do what you do?" Her answer? "I do
what I do because every morning when I go into my laboratory I know I have a
chance to think a thought that nobody ever thought before." Wonderful!
Precisely my feelings as the space opened.

So folks - it ain't hard (unless you try to sell it J). Best of all, I think
we are at the front edge of the learning wave. A little scary and just
wonderful. Enjoy!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
<mailto:oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

 <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>