Elders

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed May 19 09:42:14 PDT 2010

One of the things I love about hanging around with the "Elders" of the OST world is hearing their stories of trying to do this work in the 1980s when the fad in the North American organizational world was all about management, control and predictable outcomes (and oh how times have changed, eh?).  It was an enduring memory for me of the Camden gathering where so many of these practitioners were gathered to hear stories of what it was like trying to use Open Space with organizations back then.  It puts into perspective for me how much times have changed, how much mainstream thinking has changed and how much more sophisticated such a simple offer of OST has now become.

Those of you that broke ground should be very proud and should feel vindicated that you really were ahead of the game back then, and your perseverance alongside many others has resulted in a movement in many parts of the world towards more participatory leadership and openness.

Those of you who are struggling in places that seems like those the "Elders" were in in the 1980s tae note...it's not easy, but it is possible.

So, Harrison, you may be experiencing senility, but try to at least remember that what you did was somewhat important! :-)

Chris

----
Chris Corrigan
chris at chriscorrigan.com