Open space sessions for Police Department

Jon Harvey jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Tue May 11 07:31:08 PDT 2010

Carol

I have done lots - including 4 OS events with 800 women for London's Met
Police, two for a mixed agency / community activists / young people / police
on gun crime and about to do one with a mixture of prosecutors, magistrates,
police, youth offender workers and probation offices - plus others - see
below

All work like a dream as Harrison says. Don't be put off by concerns about
too much openness - police culture is very can do and they will fly with
like everyone else.

I would say more - but about to dash off to Berlin.

You can find some information here:

•	The Greater London Authority, in partnership with other key London
crime agencies convened the BME Cracking Crime conference to engage Black
and Minority Ethnic communities in the development and delivery of London’s
crime and disorder strategies. Day one involved using an adapted ‘Future
Search’ based methodology whilst day two used an Open Space process.
(mention is made on this website
http://www.go-london.gov.uk/GOLNewsletter/july03/young_people_big_issues.asp
)

•	Dancing on the Glass Ceiling was a series of four Open Space events
that enabled 800+ women working for the Metropolitan Police Service to
discuss what more could be done to address issues of diversity and equality
in the organisation. A further Open Space event for men was convened a year
later. (See http://www.mpa.gov.uk/committees/x-eodb/2004/041104/12a/  for a
mention of the events)

•	A two day simulation was commissioned by Thames Valley Police to
examine the introduction of a new organisational structure and the
implications to how partner organisations (such as housing associations and
local authorities) would work alongside the police in the future. The first
day of the event was the simulation. The second day used Open Space to
extract and record the learning from the first day.

•	In January 2004 with a follow up event in May 2006, these two
‘Connected’ events were commissioned by the Home Office to explore gun and
knife crime among young people. Both events involved a large number of young
people, community activists, senior police and central policy makers in
uncovering what actions could be taken to join up and improve action to
reduce such crime. Reports of the two events, which both included Open Space
processes for more than half of each, can be found at
http://connected.homeoffice.gov.uk/about/index.html

Good luck!

Jon

___

Jon Harvey
Director

www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk

+44 (0) 7771 537535
+44 (0) 1280 822585
jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Skype: jonsharvey

Helping you connect the prose and the passion to deliver superlative results

http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/  for ideas about how to improve
public & third sector services
http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/ for articles & ideas about
leadership and organisational change from a whole systems perspective
http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey for ideas and questions to help build a more
creative, fair and ambitious world

Jon Harvey Associates Ltd
Registered Office: Chandos House, School Lane, Buckingham, MK18 1HD
Company Number 6661588. VAT Registration Number 936 2921 11

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.
All business mileage is offset with http://www.carbon-clear.com