Brian Bainbridge and the fifth principle

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed May 5 06:55:28 PDT 2010

when i did my first event in open space, i studied the book, pieced together
a script, and made posters.  'be prepared to be surprised' was one of the
posters, and has been ever since.  so i think that line must have come from
the user's guide, which brian told me he reviewed, at least a little bit,
before every opening.  must have been the church thing seeping into the ost
side of his work -- do the reading and then do the feast.  <grin>  i used to
post 'be prepared...' and talk about it as the last of the four posters, a
sort of summary, but i saw brian do something different with it:  he put it
up on the door, as a sort of first shot when people arrived.  in that way,
it not only said surprise, but it was, itself, surprising.  if i were to add
anything to the four principles, it might be brian's simple summary:  it's
all good.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com