Thinking about hosting a future WOSonOS? New to travel? Lessons learned papers

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun May 2 06:00:12 PDT 2010

I will send you that paper with collected wisdom from past WOSonOS
hosts, Annamarie and Funda.

My recommendation is that anyone who is thinking of hosting for a
future year read the paper thoroughly because there are some lessons
learned not just about the easy parts but about the challenging parts
- much more than I listed in my posting.

For example needing to have a substantial amount of money in advance
(in some countries) to pay for reserving a site, contract with
caterers or pay for other services in advance (for one host I know
that meant losing money on the deal because she expected many more
international folks to register than were actually able to afford the
travel expenses).

Or knowing that a full Host Team of several people who love event
planning would be needed far in advance to share the pre-work tasks,
which can range from visiting all the hotel sites you will be
recommending to travelers to going around to see all the potential
conference sites, to writing visa invitation letters, figuring out
transport for travelers and more.

And I am guessing in some regions it may have been a bit more
challenging because there were not Open Space-knowledgeable people yet
in that region, and it might (in hindsight) have been better to grow a
community of OS / facilitators first.

So just a fair warning that in my own observation and experience it is
not just about holding space for fabulous colleagues but a lot of pre-
work, as you may both know, Ms. Annamarie and Ms. Funda.

I look forward to sharing a lovely beverage with each of you in person
wherever we may travel in this world - and I shall send you the
lessons learned papers, indeed. If any others of you are thinking of
hosting in future years please do contact me directly at lisaheft at openingspace.net
  (before May 8 or after June 8) and I shall send you this paper with
wisdom of lessons learned from past Host Teams,

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space