4 July: 25 years of Open Space and DATA

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Sun May 16 08:30:33 PDT 2010

Dear Michael Herrmann and you others listening,
to me its "and", there are zillions of stories and zillions of data,
maybe not easily seperable.
The
> http://www.openspaceworldscape.org/

is a data base in which facilitators (presently 51 from a number of
countries)list events they have facilitated. Originally conceived just
for Berlin, to visualize some of the hundreds of os events that have
happened in Berlin (presently there are 183 listed for Berlin) it went
worrldwide a while ago and now lists 605 events.
Each event has a number of facts that can be added (name of the event,
name of the sponsor/client, date and length, number of participants,
location (venue), name of facilitator) and space for more, such as date
of the planning meeting, date of Next Meetings, websites, pictures,
description of the event (there are a bunch of stories there), websites,
phone numbers (one could contact the sponsor), emails...
An additional feature is that you can search the data base not only by
facilitator but also by the field in which the os took place (there are
30 categories that give a good overview of where os is being used,
basically everywhere: education, NGO, community, business, church,
union.....).
And there is space for describing the venue, so if you are looking for a
venue in a particular city...

This data base is continually being added to, new colleagues sign in.

The fellow who administers it is Jo Töpfer (I just received a note from
him that he is completely exhausted...the WOSonOS was a 24hr non stop
affair for some of us), the initiators are a group of 13 folks, 8 of
which I just checked were at the WOSonOS in Berlin a couple of days ago.

What I also like about the data base is that you can search out a city
like lets say Taipei, click on the red marker and receive the message
that there are 9 events listed...and meet Gail West. Or look at all the
events Gail has done in the sector education..its 2 out of the 26 she
has listed there totally.

The figure of 605 appears extremely small considering that there must
have been more than 200 000 events...but even 605 is many enough to give
an inkling where all it has been applied.

Have a great day
greetings from Berlin

Michael Herman schrieb:
> i haven't been around lately to check on it, but is the
> www.openspaceworldscape.com site still up and growing?  an update from
> michael pannwitz, perhaps, when the wosonos dust settles?
>

> --
>
> Michael Herman
> Michael Herman Associates
>
> http://www.michaelherman.com
> http://www.ronanparktrail.com
> http://www.chicagoconservationcorps.org
> http://www.openspaceworld.org
>
> 312-280-7838 (mobile)
>

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Steven (Doc) List
> <doc at anotherthought.com>wrote:
>
>> In fewer words :), I agree with much of Suzanne's sentiment.
>>
>> When I suggested compiling a book, it was the stories I was thinking of,
>> the experiences and feelings and revelations, not the facts.
>>
>> If anyone else is interested in pursuing this project, please let me know.
>> I'd be happy to be a shepherd for this.
>>
>> I'm looking for facilitators' stories, participants' stories, sponsors'
>> stories, organizations' stories: their skepticism, their understanding,
>> their feelings before/during/after, the impact of the event on an
>> organization, and so on.
>>
>> What about it?
>>
>> ..Doc
>> --
>> Steven "Doc" List, Principal Consultant, ThoughtWorks
>> Mobile: +1 (512) 924-9248 | Skype: steven.list | Yahoo: dadjester |
>> Twitter: athought
>> Facebook: athought | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/stevenlist
>> email: doc at thoughtworks.com | doc at anotherthought.com | web:
>> www.thoughtworks.com
>> blog: http://www.stevenlist.com
>>
>> "People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens
>> are attached to them."    -- George Bernard Shaw
>>
>> *
>> *

>> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

--
Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 392 resident Open
Space Workers in 68 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org