OST and community consultations

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Tue May 4 16:51:32 PDT 2010

Dear All

I have been invited to give a keynote speech at an international seminar
on health and aged care strategy at the end of this month near Padang in
West Sumatra.

The invitation is from one of my former PhD students, Prof Elfindri (he
only has one name) who until recently was a professor of economics at
Andalas University in Padang. Now head of a consortium of 216 private
universities in Sumatra he has been the chairman of the research grants
commission for all universities throughout Indonesia. He has also made
an impact nationally through his publications on the study and
application of 'Positive Deviance', an idea that I introduced to him
during his doctoral studies.

Being a member of a matriarchal (albeit Muslim) society he has to be
continuously kind to his wife! Who drives a souped up original VW Beetle.

My contribution to the seminar arises from Elfindri's knowing that I
have a strong background in these areas - from my time as an academic in
a Department of Primary Health Care in a medical school in Adelaide,
Australia. With a particular focus on this level of health care services
and the associated necessity of community consultations to establish
what local communities perceive as priorities in the planning,
development and administration of their facilities. And on training of
health care workers in universities and other institutions to be
oriented to community service.

This seminar is a great opportunity to bring widespread attention to the
value of OST approaches in such enterprises in Indonesia.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from people on the list who have
experience of conducting community consultations and/or curriculum
design using OST particularly but not only in the Asian region.

All in the realm of promoting participation, on the premise that:

"Participation is the key to the future of the human race. Participation
in families, in politics ... Participation will save the
human race - if we are saved."
/Pete Seeger at aged 89/

//

Go well

Alan
Hong Kong

To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle.
/George Orwell/