Opening Space and Participating at the same time?

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 16:55:44 PDT 2010

Hi Johannes,

As Peggy and Harrison have said, it takes the ability to truly hold
the space for what is emerging, which is much more challenging for me
when I've let myself loose into a discussion for which I have lots of
passion.

In what ways will the nature of the topic require you to participate?
Are you considered to be an expert/authority/leader in these
communities?  I personally find it much trickier then.

Years ago, Harrison was brought in by our local Organziation
Development Network to do an Open Space for that group.  Someone
proposed a breakout session and asked Harrison if he would be willing
to do a Q&A about Open Space for that time period.  Since these were
all OD folks who wanted to learn as much as they could from the
master, nearly ever one of the fifty or so participants ended up in a
breakout with Harrison.  I certainly thought that he was able to hold
the space and simultaneously participate in that breakout session.  At
the end of the day, though, led by Harrison's self-disclosure about
his discomfort with the process, we came to the conclusion that while
we gained Harrison's insight and time with him as a "teacher" we lost
a bit of the power of Open Space.

Warm wishes from a lovely warm Phoenix afternoon,

Christine
Christine Whitney Sanchez
Collaborative Wisdom & Strategy
480.759.0262