Working group

koos at auryn.nl koos at auryn.nl
Thu Mar 11 23:29:32 PST 2010

Hi Allison,

Just had a conversation last night with two good friends about this.

Our conclusion was that electronic ways of meeting work much better
once you have established face to face contact first. If people don't
know each other from physical presence beforehand, it is much harder
to establish any kind of rapport online.

It also helps if small subgroups (two or three) that are close enough
for travelling, do meet regularly and share their results online with
the rest who are farther away.

People have tried to copy the mechanism of Open Space to an online
platform, like Gabriela Ender did with Open Space Online. Even though
it is a great product and well designed, my personal belief is that
the Open Space structure was designed for a physical meeting. Bringing
the Open Space principles to an online platform does not mean copying
the structure directly to an online application. The few times that I
tried, I have felt rather unhappy in an OS online conference. I think
the principles of Open Space need translation before they can work
well online. It is like translating a text: translation is not so much
about transferring the text word by word to another language, but it
is about capturing the images, the story and retelling that in the
other language.

So if you want to do something online that captures the spirit and
principles of Open Space, I would go for simplicity. Use tools like
Skype to have conversations between two or three locations, and use
email or a forum to exchange written ideas. Maybe you can also create
a name and a logo for your project, because images help to unite
people behind a common goal. Try to create a rythm; meeting online
every week or every two weeks, exchanging email a few times a week etc.

Just some thoughts from a cool Utrecht,

Koos