A question of size ;-)

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Wed Jun 30 16:40:19 PDT 2010

Hi Irv,

You ask an important question about a key aspect of working with communities!  I find the biggest difference between working in an organization and working with a community is the nature of reaching the people you wish to attend.

With organizations, you've got a clear sense of who belongs.  Even if you want to reach beyond employees to include other stakeholders - customers, suppliers, community, family, or others -- defining who makes up the system and reaching them is pretty straightforward.

For communities, given your theme, how do you define the whole system?  What roles need to be in the room? For example, do you want public officials?  Or certain types of expertise?  How important are factors like race, class, gender, generation, geography, political perspective, or other dimensions?

I've done a lot of work over the last 10 years in bringing together increasingly diverse communities.  Inviting is the most important and challenging pre-work of doing an OS on behalf of a whole system.  I consider it vital because of the connection between diversity and innovation.  Change the mix of who's in the conversation and the conversation changes.  The likelihood of original responses to whatever issue you're facing goes way up.

All that said, I am a strong believer that "whoever comes is the right people".  AND I am also deeply committed to being mindful and deliberate in the work of inviting a diverse group when the intention for coming together is served by it.

BTW, I've never found myself overwhelmed by people from the historically neglected areas showing up.  It's just the opposite: it takes a dedicated effort -- a clear and welcoming invitation -- to attract their participation.

I strongly suggest forming an outreach group reflective of the mix of people you wish to invite.  You see, if the community group who is hosting the event are principally white and middle class, chances are they won't be the best folks to reach those you described as historically neglected.

One key caveat: inviting folks to join you to help with outreach from different communities also means being open to their influence on framing the theme.  Part of the reason people from the communities you wish to reach don't show up is the purpose you've stated for coming together doesn't attract them.  So find out what does.

Another, perhaps even more important, reason they don't show up is that you don't have a relationship with them.  So cultivate one.  Show up where the people you want to reach hang out.  And listen.  Learn.  Connect.

This isn't one-off work.  It's about cultivating a larger sense of who "we" the community is.  And I've found each time I learn to define the system in a larger way, another aspect of who has been left out shows up.  It's great because it continues to grow the mix of unlikely connections with each subsequent event.

One logistical suggestion: if you're not sure how many people will be coming, you can ask people to register in advance.  You can even give away some sort of thank you gift for people who register as an incentive.  On the day of the event, its important to welcome whoever shows up, but pre-registration gives you some sense of how many to expect.

best of success,
Peggy

_________________________________
Peggy Holman
peggy at peggyholman.com

15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.peggyholman.com
www.journalismthatmatters.org

Coming in September
Engaging Emergence: Turning Upheaval into Opportunity
www.engagingemergence.com

For the second edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt, is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger