A question of size ;-)

Barry Owen barryo at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 16:13:27 PDT 2010

Hi Irv,

I do that (a LOT)

everything i do is in Open Space

and it always works.

I say:"stop thinking and DO"

Best,

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Steve Cochran <scochran305 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Irv - A couple of thoughts:
>
> 1. Perhaps determine in advance what "...good representation of people from
> these neighborhoods..." looks like by studying the census-type data about
> the demographics, population, etc. Some public records probably exist via
> the City, and interviewing several key institutional heads about the makeup
> of the neighborhoods could help. (i.e. - school principals, local
> clergy/faith community leaders, major employers, etc.)
>
> 2. Develop a community 'profile' (the good kind, not the bad kind!) that
> addresses age, ethnicity, families, singles, etc. and then reach out to
> populate that profile - again perhaps recommendations from the same
> community leaders and others, staying within your parameters and logistics.
> By inviting people with a particular perspective and hopefully gaining their
> commitment to participate it may be possible to design 'broad
> representation'.
>
> Just a thought....such a design feels sort of counter to the 'Whoever
> comes..." principle, but your desire for broad input for neighborhood issues
> is understandable.
>
> Good Luck! - Steve
>
> PS - Providing food is always a good draw!
>   On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Irv Sheffey <
> irv.sheffey at sierraclub.org> wrote:
>
>>  I’m working with a local community group to organize a one day forum on
>> creating local sustainable neighborhoods, here in the District of Columbia.
>> We want the forum to be inclusive of a wide range of perspectives from
>> environmental NGOs, local government, civic leaders and most important,
>> folks from the community at large, namely the “grassroots”.  The theme is “
>> *Getting from here to there, creating sustainable east of the river
>> communities*.” We are targeting people who reside in a part of DC that is
>> geographically separated from the other, two-thirds of the District, by the
>> Anacostia River.  This part of DC is the home of over 140,000 people, many
>> who have been historically neglected socially and politically.  We envision
>> the forum to be a place where their voices can be heard
>>

>> This brings me to my question and I hope someone out in the network has
>> some suggestions.  How do we open space such that we get a good
>> representation of people from these neighborhoods, without overwhelming
>> ourselves?  Whereas it’s relatively easy to work in a context of a given
>> organization, i.e., a company, a school, a profession, since affinity is
>> defined and numbers limited but what do you do when you’re seeking a broad
>> cross section of the public?  We have a modest budget and a venue that could
>> accommodate upwards of 200 people.  How can you be “open” while reasonable
>> as to how many people can be logistically accommodated?
>>

>> The forum is scheduled for late October and we will begin outreach efforts
>> over the summer.
>>

>> I hope that this doesn’t sound like a “duh” question for you more
> [...]

Barry Owen
Real Estate Broker
Professional Coach
Keller Williams Realty

Connect with me @ Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Plaxo

Call me: 615-568-2123

Read my Blog: http://activerain.com/blogs/barryo
Visit The Owen Group http://www.theowengroup.net
http://www.owengroupnashvillehomes.com
Barry Owen’s Internet Portal to all blogsites, websites, and social networks
http://tnrealestatetribalhub.wordpress.com/2009/06/02/barry-owens-web-portal/

Simply & BOLDLY Living the FourFold Way in Open Space!

Quintessentially connected to the real estate industry to offer the ultimate
experience for Home Buyers and Sellers in Middle Tennessee . . . Inquire
within!