Radical Real-Time Annual Unc onference "Making t he Most of C ollaborative Worlds ” - Saturd ay , June 5, 20 10 from 2pm to 5:30p m

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 04:52:31 PDT 2010

Technical.....face-to-face...have to say that it is not an "either or"
but a beautiful "and and"!  It's not about "paper and pencil" OR what
happens in the virtual techie world.  I will grant you, for me it all
started with the "face-to-face"  Open Space, the Real McCoy which
nothing can replace because it activates ALL of your senses.  But
let's not miss the point here.   When Open Space triggers or ignites
something in you that FEELS so special, so natural and in some cases,
so exhilarating, a bit like "falling in love"  well you don't want it
to be just a first date.

Whether it is WIKI, NING or this exciting Radical Real Time
Unconference, generously organized for free by the Radical Inclusion
team, well to me it's all good.   Yes I agree, there's no way we can
capture the "experience" of what happens in face-to-face Open Space
sessions, but there is such a thing as keeping the spirit alive and
nourishing our human connections.

Now let me tell you a story about a fine Saturday morning on June 5th,
2010.   For weeks, I had been excitedly waiting for the big Radical
Real Time event, enjoying the multiple emails from the Radical
Inclusion team preparing me for the event technically, with such
welcome from their heart. It felt like I was going to a big party with
so many juicy topics and the anticipation of reconnecting with people
I had recently met in Open Space like Thomas, Artur, Juan Luis,
Hempal, Christine, Juliane, Holger, etc. etc.

I had sent invitations to many of my friends, people I had met in Open
Space AND through Open Space.  You see it's like a web connecting
people together.  I was so excited when some folks who I had never
even met in person responded they were joining. Wow, now they'd get to
meet my Open Space friends too...those people I met in Berlin, or
Taiwan or on the Open Space list. You see none of this could ever have
happened had I not met this thing called Open Space a little over a
year ago.

Well in the midst of all this, my sister Monique and her husband Dan
living in Canada called to say they would be visiting me in Florida.
Wedl only have a few precious days together and there I am faced with
the decision of Radical Real Time or being with them.  Well I wanted
it all and I got it all.  We set up a big computer screen on my
kitchen table connected it to my lap top and there we were the three
of us, logging in 30 minutes before to be fully ready for this virtual
circus of conversations.  There were a few glitches but I did not
despair one bit.  It was all part of the technical experiment of
connecting with people from all over the world and experiencing a ton
of different virtual tools.  I couldn't get into the first session I
had registered for (so disappointed that I wouldn't be joining Thomas
Herman's topic as I had planned) but like a bumble bee, I traveled to
another group with Monique and Dan  watching like butterflies.  We
landed in another session and by coincidence I ran into Kennan, who I
had never met in person with whom we've been having extraordinary
phone conversations boosting our courage to one day organize a
world-wide Open Space on something that's super important.

Using a combination of phone, virtual power point, audio conferencing
and chatting on line, the energy builds. Monique and Dan are riveted.
We then head off to another session on creativity and innovation, this
time in Skype. Well by then, we're howling with laughter when we see
all those little pencils furiously writing at the same time, bursting
with what they want to say.  As one line appears, you feel drawn in to
add to the thought, the idea or the comment. It's like a party with 20
people all talking at once only this time is a big world-wide
unconference. In the midst of it all, I get a side note  from Corinne
(young 20s) in Canada who I invited but never met face-to-face, asking
what session I'm in as she describes what fun she's having as she
participates in Artur's session.  I quickly type back, "tell Artur I
said hi, he's a friend".  A few seconds later, I receive hugs back
from Artur through her.  Later he sends me a personal email.

Well 3 hours later, it's over but it's not over... because the
conversations continue with Monique, Dan and I.  For the rest of the
afternoon, the three of us are talking about life, work and job
satisfaction or lack there of.  They tell me how this short time
opened up so much for them --something they just rarely get a chance
to do in the rat-race of life and work.  The next day and then a week
later, we're still laughing about what happened on June 5th.

So Harrison, mmp and others, I have to say again for me, it's not
"either - or",  it's definitely the  "and - and" of keeping the Open
Spirit alive once it's ignited.  The fact of the matter is, too often,
too many of us could be missing our lives when we opt to play it safe,
choosing job security over passion and energy. So be it virtually or
face-to-face, the important thing is to feed those connections when
they happen, the connections that activate passion and energy, the
stuff that "self-organizing" is made of.  I don't want to expand the
"feeling and experience" of Open Space.  That's what virtual feels to
me. I want it ALL: face-to-face, virtual, old-fashion telephone, paper
and pencil. In the end, it's not about Open Space; it's about life and
connecting in this human family and as living organisms in every
possible way. Self-organizing!

Cheers, Suzanne

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group