Radical Real-Time Annual Unc onference "Making the Most of C ollaborative Worlds ” - Saturd ay , June 5, 2010 from 2pm to 5:30p m

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Jun 11 12:44:27 PDT 2010

Artur – Doubtless we have made mega-progress with things technical – but somehow, flies do land in the ointment. (“Maybe I should have done that before, but I was busy preparing the session I convened in that "Unconference", with a lot of last minute problems, like my local network, dying some minutes before the event...”).

I am reminded of my good friends at Microsoft who brought together several hundred of their senior folks to redesign their data centers. Needless to say I left the electronic support to them, and they assured me that it would be “state-of-the-art. I am sure it was (SOTA) – but there was a small problem. Didn’t work. Back to paper and pencils! – but eventually I suggested that we might just try WORD templates with finger drives. Worked like a charm, as always.

I am definitely in favor of charting new courses and trying new stuff, indeed the first Open Space was documented on the predecessor to the Internet in 1985 (DARPANET). And lord knows there is wonderful new stuff out there. So have fun, but don’t throw away the pencils and paper. Could be useful in emergency (smile).

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854