On "Failure" / Coaching

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Mon Jun 7 04:31:51 PDT 2010

Dear Ilja,
I fare well with the notion that at its core all groups, organisations
and systems are selforganizing or, to say it differently, are os-groups,
os-orgs and os-systems.
At the same time we have devised devillishly ingenious structures in
groups, organisations and systems to keep self organisation contained,
restricted, boarded in, etc., or, we have done everything to prevent the
os organisation to unfold.
Open Space Technology is a procedure, method, approach...that always in
my facilitation experience with 167 events in the last 14 years expands
the space for the unfolding of selforganisation or the os-org.
Still its just a method and, I think, only works because
self-organisation is active and os-orgs are there (sometimes hard to
see, I agree). There is no way to organise self-organisation no matter
what method or to create an os-organisation no matter what tool...and
there is no need to do it because it is already there.
This notion helps me a great deal in staying relaxed in my facilitation
work knowing from experience that selforganisation will unfold because
it is there already. Now, its unfolding is enhanced, if the 5 or 6
prerequisites we always talk about are in place.
And one of the tasks with a potential client, sponsor is to take time
with him or her to reflect on the prerequisites...its all on the part of
the client/sponsor to do that, they have to be clear on whether the
prerequisites are sufficiently in place and they have to convince me
that it is in fact so before we start thinking of a contract.
(I always have a contact meeting, no fee, no obligations on either side,
talk about the prerequisites, dont decided anything, sleep twice and
then have a phone call or an email to see whether os is what is wanted).
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

--
Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 396 resident Open
Space Workers in 69 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org