On "Failure" / Coaching

Ilja Preuß it at iljapreuss.de
Mon Jun 7 00:26:17 PDT 2010

Hi Harrison,

> Doing an Open space is one thing, but
> building upon that experience in an ongoing way to the profit and betterment
> of the organization/group is the next level up, as far as I am concerned. I
> am not talking about, “becoming an Open Space organization” if only because
> I sincerely believe that all organizations are already there.

I share the notion that the whole world basically is self-organizing.
But taking that to the final logical conclusion, we also need to say
that every single conference, every single meeting is an "Open Space".
And while there is something to it, I don't find this to be a very
helpful notion.

While it's true that the whole world is self-organizing, it also seems
very obvious to me that very different things happen once we
deliberately open the space for this self-organization to happen,
instead of deciding to impose a limiting structure. So much different,
in fact, that I dread conferences that don't make that space. So I
find value in only labeling those conferences and meetings as "Open
Space" where there is deliberate action taken to open the space, and
I'm assuming that something similar holds true for "Open Space
organizations".

Cheers, Ilja