OST + wiki = ProjectWiki

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Jun 1 06:48:13 PDT 2010

Hello, Danilo -

I find that - for Open Space or any situation that is designed around
an event - the wikis work only if there is a) someone hosting and able
to make it more interactive for those participants who do not operate
usually on-line or go to on-line sites and b) if the group has a need
to continue working together / interacting after the event.

(Christine and her team demonstrated some really active hosting at the
wiki they created for their planning and event - hosting done by four
or five people in different roles - inviting, cleaning, highlighting,
connecting threads...)

I find that some clients are sad that nobody goes there after the
event to use the wiki they set up - and that, when questioned, the
participants say 'we got all we needed at the face-to-face event' and
went back into their busy lives. Or the participants were not all of
the culture to use on-line communities or conversations, so the wiki
activity consisted of just a few participants who already operate in
that world. Or because wiki is so highly text-based, some people have
trouble taking in text-based data.

I have also been taught well that the use of tech tools can be
selected / built into the design of an event only after an analysis of
what the people naturally do and what tech tools naturally reflect
what the people do and are like.

And that it is hard for some folks to 'feel' that a wiki is out there
during an event or afterwards, so in the OS event some of my
colleagues who use wikis also have a physical space in the large OS
meeting room that is a 'Newsroom' (documentation station) to both help
those who do not use wikis (they can transcribe their session notes at
a laptop or give them to a Newsroom Coordinator via a usb / flash
drive during the meeting) and to give others a reminder / body sense
that documentation is an element of the meeting.

I have observed that some people not already familiar with wikis may
be shocked that someone is able to edit and change their words - so
perhaps a full explanation is useful if you are introducing this to a
culture (or some within a culture) who are not fully acquainted with
wikis.

And I have observed that including people who cannot attend by doing a
wiki at the same time as a live event can require one or more
dedicated 'journalist' types to keep the information flowing out to
the virtual attendees, because so many of the face-to-face
participants are most interested in attending to the face-to-face
rather than also interacting on-line at that time.

And of course it depends on the culture of the group you are working
with - if it's all bloggers and Twitterers they are already sending
out information so you'd want to use their existing pathways and
engage them in any additional pathways (or tags etc.) that help off-
site participants access everything rather than people posting in
places that only some of them know.

Perhaps some of these reflections will help add some thought as you
design your own use of wiki in combination with OST.
And there are others in our community who will I am sure add
additional experiences and lessons learned about using wikis.

Warm regards to Slovenia from a gray but lovely morning in California,
Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space