Facilitating open space for a diversity of ages

Sarah-Jane Rawlings sarahjane at improbable.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 08:05:33 PDT 2010

I work with Phelim at Improbable and in July we are facilitating an
open space for 150 teachers and their pupils and artists who have all
been working together over the last five years in a government
supported programme around artists in schools. The aim of the open
space is to give all of the participants an opportunity to feed back
on the experience but also to begin to think about how they could be
taking it all forward and the question is: Knowing what we know now,
what should we really be doing at school?

The participants will include children as young as 3 to 16 and their
teachers and the artists who have been working with them and I just
wondered if anyone had experience of facilitating open space with this
diversity of age range. We have thought about enlarging the news room
to include a kind of craft / making area to enable the very young ones
(and anyone else of course) to report in ways other than using
computers but would welcome any other tips at all.

Thank you very much.

Sarah-Jane

---
Sarah-Jane Rawlings