Open Space Story Devising

Jenifer Toksvig never at acompletelossforwords.com
Sat Jun 12 15:31:43 PDT 2010

Has anyone ever used OS as a tool for creating a piece of theatre? I spent
some glorious time today with about 30 actors, directors, musicians,
designers and writers, using open space to explore and devise a piece of
storytelling.

We don¹t yet know if it will continue to involve all of us, or maybe just a
few. Next Saturday we have another session, and some people will be the
same, and some will be new, and some from today will not be there next time.

We don¹t know if it will end up being theatre, or a novel, or a short story,
or all of those things.

It was instigated by a brilliant writer/performer/director (Phelim & Matilda
know her well!) and many of us have multiple skills like that. What I loved
was that it didn¹t matter what we all do: we all did everything today. I got
to play actor games that I don¹t ever get to play, and usually terrify me,
but today I enjoyed them as part of the wide creative process ­ and I knew
that the Law of Two Feet would allow me to stop anytime I wanted. So I was
free to carry on!

I loved the way the principles of Open Space allowed for the seed of an idea
to be exploded into all manner of marvellous imaginings. Has anyone else
ever experienced such a thing, or heard about it?

Also, my first time running an OS conference is this coming week, Tuesday -
Thursday! Very excited :-)

Jen x

Jenifer Toksvig
never at acompletelossforwords.com