Large-scale community project

Jon Harvey jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 09:37:18 PDT 2010

Liz

Thanks for posting this – sounds wonderful!

Lisa has responded with much wisdom to many of your points (what time is it
with you Lisa?!) already. I would add a couple of ideas:

I am with Lisa on concerns about using a theatre – but if that is all you
have – that is all you have. I once ran an open space in a large marquee –
is there a circus tent that you could borrow? Do check out the stuff that
Phelim has posted here recently regarding his use of a theatre to create a
(sort of) flat circle in a tiered place!

As you will know – they have these wonderful cardboard wall structures in
Germany that we used at the WOSONOS a few weeks ago. I am currently
exploring whether I can put the German company who manufactures these in
touch with a mate of mine whose business is cardboard packaging. (I will get
back to you soon Jo!) Perhaps there might be scope in setting up the company
links in time for your event. I have tried contacting the company direct –
but to no avail. Maybe with your EU contacts it might be possible to import
them anyway? As Lisa suggests there are other fixes – including just getting
some panels from a DIY shop – such as the polystyrene they use in house
insulation – though not very eco friendly! Metaplan boards are good – and I
know the distributor in this country – if you need me to – I can put you in
touch.

Signing – again I am with Lisa – I have to say that I have never bothered
with this – heresy! I use balloons (big letters floating 2m off the ground)
so that people can take their group wherever they wish to go – the space
moves around flexibly if a large number show up....

I had an option of a large projector screen in the last series of OS I ran –
in the end – we did not bother. It felt just a bit too ‘techy’ and the
dynamism of an agenda wall flows much better. I now don’t bother with grids.
So long as you have the time slot spaces mapped out clearly and distinctly –
there is no need. The post it notes identify where the session is happening.
For the sake of clarity I have different colours for the different times...

The action planning stage of the WOSONOS in Berlin was new to some people
(including me) – but I thought it worked well and allowed for some
‘convergence’. Our BOSCOP colleagues may have some views about this too of
course! Indeed so might others. But to pick up on what Lisa says –
convergence for what? What are the outcomes that are expected / hoped for /
anticipated? Who will be invited? How long will the events be? How will you
be organising the training? There are plenty of people who could help out if
you need it. How are you linking all this stuff with the Prime Minister’s
‘big society’?

If you would like to meet up face to face – do give me a call. We could meet
half way somewhere (I am Buckingham based) – I am happy to share whatever I
can to assist.

Very best wishes

Jon

___

Jon Harvey

Director

"  <http://www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk/> www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk

( +44 (0) 7771 537535

( +44 (0) 1280 822585

›   <mailto:jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk> jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk

¹  Skype: jonsharvey

JHAL logo.jpg

Helping you connect the prose and the passion

to deliver superlative results

 <http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/>
http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/  for ideas about how to improve the
efficiency & effectiveness of public & third sector services

 <http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/>
http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/ for articles & ideas about
leadership and organisational change from a whole systems perspective

 <http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey> http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey for
conversations, ideas & questions to help build a more ambitious, creative
and fair world

 <http://tinyurl.com/JonHarveyLI> http://tinyurl.com/JonHarveyLI to connect
with me on LinkedIn

Jon Harvey Associates Ltd

Registered Office: Chandos House, School Lane, Buckingham, MK18 1HD

Company Number 6661588. VAT Registration Number 936 2921 11

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.

All business mileage is offset with
<http://www.carbon-clear.com/uk/index.php> http://www.carbon-clear.com