Large-scale community project

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Jul 21 08:38:18 PDT 2010

Hi, Liz - how exciting!

I am one of those who has done quite a few OSs for 1500 and 2000 and
more.

One of my recommendations is to keep in mind that while the form of OS
stays the same (and scales up to those overall group sizes) your pre-
work shall probably include lots of thought about what makes the site
intuitively easy to navigate / find a session they are interested in
way across the site without folks getting lost, ability to hear and to
see and access Agenda Wall, facilitator, session convenors announcing
their sessions, other access issue such as wheelchair/crutch/weaker
legs issues and so on.  All true of smaller events too - but in my
experience, crucial in the larger ones.  Also watching traffic pattens
not just for ease of navigating but for safety issues as well (should
there be a fire or other emergency, where are the clear routes of
access and exit).

So as a 'Devils Advocate' question - the theatre is the only big space
you can use? rather than an auditorium or conference hall with
completely clear (for discussion area set-up) floor space?
I'm guessing you went through all that investigation and the theatre
space is what you have.

Wall space: I have used and heard of sticky walls (parachute-like
material with spray-adhesive where the topic signs just stick - but of
course you have to affix that fabric and its weight of signage onto
the wall as well), exhibit walls such as in trade shows (often cost a
lot to rent), fold-out cardboard walls such as Neuland products offer
(perhaps a bit expensive as well), 'Canadian tables' (tables leaned
upright so their faces become the 'wall' surface), sides of busses,
clotheslines with clothes pins (again, plan for sag and weight of
signs), curtains and straight pins...
...I am curious why you need walls when it is a theatre...perhaps you
can explain the space more - thanks.

Signing up: Many of my dear colleagues who I respect deeply feel the
signing up on the topic signs is essential for setting intention and
furthering the self-organization. I experimented with dropping that as
'one less thing' and I found it improved upon the situation. The
'situation' I refer to is not just about traffic jams at the wall
(which was my initial reason for trying this one less thing) but also
I noted that some session convenors saw nobody signing up for their
sessions so assumed nobody would come and removed their signs (when in
actuality through the course of the day folks are drawn to more or
different sessions than they signed their names on to / thought they
might be interested in at the beginning of the day) - others said 'oh
my - this is a big group coming - I must go find a big room ' and when
it actually happened maybe 10 people came - because again - their
interests and energies changed throughout the day.  So to me, the not
signing names on topic signs (except of course for the convenor
placing her/his name on their own sign) seems to be an improvement.
However I do invite my great colleagues - especially those who have
done larger events who do still include the signing-up element - to
share what works, why they retain it and so on - many diverse
experiences lead to several options and styles.

Video screen: I have had several large events where this has been part
of the design - and in each one found that the client worked hard on
this (such as transcribing what is going up on the wall immediately so
they can throw it on a screen / multiple screens) but the participants
have ignored the screen and instead go up to the wall with the papers
on it - whether that Agenda Wall is in the main room where most
sessions are convening (with some breakout spaces down the hall) or
whether the Agenda Wall is moved to the hallway or something specific
to that site.  What are other folks' experiences, especially in these
larger group sizes / events?

Convergence: For that I would have to ask you what is your objective
for that convergence. If you mean Closing Circle comments and
reflections as your convergence, I just use multiple microphone
locations and invite folks to come up to share their reflections,
discoveries, breakthrough conversations, exciting stories and rich
learnings of the day. And I have those scribed to include in the Book
of Proceedings. Not going around in a circle but offering time for
folks to come up to the mic. Is that what you mean?

And: are you doing documentation / having participants take their
notes to co-create a Book of Proceedings?  I've done that as well for
these large events and I am sure my colleagues who do larger OS events
have done this as well - ask away.

I look forward to hearing my colleagues similar and different
experiences for these larger groups,

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net
www.openingspace.net

Ask me about the The Power of Pre-Work workshop for facilitators -
August 18-20, 2010 - San Francisco
and the Open Space Learning Workshops - October 15-18, 2010 -
Medellin, Colombia and December 15-17, 2010 - San Francisco