making theatre in Open Space

Stella Duffy stell at CLARA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 16 16:47:36 PDT 2010

Harrison, yes!, having 'improvised' all my first drafts, I've also allowed
the book to write me (aka 'story will out'), and the one time I did plan a
novel it ended up being so radically different to the plan it was a
different book, but never wanting to wait on a 'muse' has meant I have also
pushed myself to write through the dull/boring/'uninspired'/regular days
too. But using the OS form for editing did make an enormous difference. So
much of writing is about persuading oneself to stay at the desk and keep
going ... if there's no need to persuade, then it stops being a chore and
becomes a delight. and then, of course, the (non-existent) muse is so much
more likely to be one of those 'whoever comes'...!
Stella