temple bells - how to use?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Jul 7 08:57:56 PDT 2010

I bow to you, Ms. Karolina.

I only know what I have noticed.

1) If you ring them 'to let people know things) - for example to
signify the change in time for sessions - you are actually breaking
into peoples' thought process. And there are always enough timepieces
(electronic and otherwise) that people have and even clocks on the
wall, plus session convenors' interest in their next sessions - to let
people know in a participant-centered (rather than facilitator-driven)
way when the time is shifting.  So when I do it, I only ring them at
one certain time - to draw peoples' attention to the fact that Closing
Circle is beginning. When I introduce how the day will go (usually
after they post their topics on the wall), I include the fact that I
will not be telling them about time, that they have these timepieces,
but that I will see them in Closing Circle at ''x o'clock" and that I
will be in the room if they have any questions.  And when I use them
this once - they really capture peoples' attention, because they have
not over-heard it.  If I am not mistaken, the fabulous Elwin Guild
uses one ring of his bells after the very last comment / all is over
at the end of the event.  Elwin, would you like to share how you use
your bells?

2) I 'ding' the bells about 4 to 6 times, letting the full sound of
each ding run out, before I start the next ding. I breathe. And I find
the dings are much like a graceful breathing.

3) If it is a very large venue I hold them up to a microphone.

4) Some people hold them like cymbals (the 'faces' on vertical planes
opposite each other); some people hold them both facing down, next to
each other (lightly holding the straps so as to not affect the sound),
and touch them to each other. This last method is my method.

5) When buying them - ideal is to go to an actual store (a Tibetan
store for example) to listen to the music and tone of each set of
bells, to feel which is the one set that speaks to you.

6) I went to great lengths to make a connecting piece that was not the
original leather - so that I could put things on it that meant
something to me. It turns out that it can affect the sound and can
stretch and I am wondering if perhaps keeping the original simple
leather piece might be best. Although mine is still the way I created
it and I enjoy how it looks.

What do others do and know about their bells and their use of them?

Cheers from a gray California morning,
Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net
www.openingspace.net

Ask me about the The Power of Pre-Work workshop for facilitators -
August 18-20, 2010 - San Francisco
and the Open Space Learning Workshops - October 15-18, 2010 -
Medellin, Colombia and December 15-17, 2010 - San Francisco

Join me on OSLIST - the World Open Space community in conversation
(English) http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html
and at the Open Space World Community space (all languages) http://openspaceworld.ning.com