Sewing seeds for the value of OST (Was OST and community consultations)

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 23:36:34 PDT 2010

Dear All

This is to alert you to two papers now on the ning
site.<http://openspaceworld.ning.com/forum/topics/sewing-seeds-for-ost?xg_source=activity>They
are to do with sewing seeds about the potential value of OST for the
vital task of consulting communities about their perceived health needs. You
may find the ideas I expressed novel and illuminating.

As has Suzanne Daigle, cheer leader extraordinaire, who wrote:

“Oh dear Alan, I have finally caught up to this beautifully laid out series
of papers which deserves an audience's head and heart. I was captivated
tonight by your message of health and this quote in particular which struck
a chord tonight: "To learn to write well – a skill that will always be of
great value to you. And you become familiar with the language of emotion –
which you will hear every day of your working lives!"

What a gift ...the first with a simple message and the second with a most
serious and self-reflective message with some very powerful questions to a
medical community that should heed and hear. I hope you will post these
links to the broader Open Space community.”

As I mentioned earlier (OST and community consultations; 5 and 23 May 2010)
I was invited to give a keynote address at an international seminar on ‘The
Health Care Revolution in Indonesia.’ This was in Bukittinggi, near to
Padang in West Sumatra at the end of May 2010.

The invitation came from one of my former PhD students, Prof Elfindri (he
has one name only). At the time of the seminar he was head of a consortium
of over 200 private universities and the audience of about 500 people was
made up largely of staff and students of these institutions.

I did present my speech, after a great deal of consideration of what could
be of value to the audience. This led me to focus on ways of establishing
what people see as important in their lives, particularly about  matters to
do with health care needs. Complemented by ideas on the role of the
university in promoting curiosity and an ethic for doing this when preparing
students for careers as health care providers.

In this composing I was ably assisted by several people, among whom are OST
colleagues as well as former colleagues in the medical school in Australia
in which I was based for nearly 20 years until 1994. Also by Dania Pratiwi
in Jakarta, a member of this listserv who translated my slides into Bahasa
Indonesia.

In the presentation itself, after I had spoken to each slide Elfindri
paraphrased what I had said. This worked well, I think, in conveying my
intent, not least as he and I have similar passions for the vital necessity
of community consultation.

My speech was addressed to both ‘audiences’, staff and students. At the time
I said that I would send a follow-up paper. This is what I have done, with a
difference that I have produced separate papers for each audience. These are
being translated into Bahasa Indonesia.

As you may suspect there is more to this story than meets the eye. Just what
emerges cannot of course be predicted. One possibility is the use of OST to
explore how government funded and privately funded university medical
schools could collaborate. Since I was in Padang Prof Elfindri has developed
a health condition which has led him to resign his position with the private
universities. Without his championing this and other projects may be
delayed.

As ever, whatever happens ...

Who knows, you may find the seed sewing ideas in my papers of value for your
purposes. If you do please let me know.

Go well

Alan

Alan Stewart, PhD
Facilitator of conversations that matter and participatory fun
alan at multimindsolutions.com
 <alan at multimindsolutions.com%C2%A0%C2%A0>Hong Kong
Hong Kong tel: (resume after 14.8.2010)  +85294387680
UK tel:  (until 13.8.2010) +44(0)7783950525
Web: www.multimindsolutions.com
Blog: http://conversare.net/