Animals

Jenifer Toksvig never at acompletelossforwords.com
Fri Jul 16 02:21:52 PDT 2010

Recently, my friend and I facilitated an open space conference for musical
theatre ­ which was amazing, of course, because OST always works ­ but in
addressing this specific event, we used a new animal. Thought I¹d share.

We knew that there was an expectation amongst some in the room that more
people would attend. And also different people. I suspect that may often be
the case, and it certainly seems to always be the case that people come to
open space with an expectation of some kind other than just to be prepared
to be surprised.

So we started off by talking about the elephant in the room: whatever size
or shape it might be, because everyone brings a different elephant with
them, we wanted to begin simply by acknowledging that the elephants were
there with us and, having paid them that respect, to move on and see if they
might choose to wander off to another watering hole now.

Not that they¹re not wise, elephants. But they are quite big, and they do
take up a lot of space, and we were hoping for as much OPEN space as
possibleŠ

Jen x

Jenifer Toksvig
never at acompletelossforwords.com