Dynamic Facilitation and Open Space

Jost Wagner jostwagner at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 02:54:47 PST 2010

Dear all,

I have been reflecting for some time on the question how to improve on the effectiveness of the breakout groups in Open Space. Last year I organised a seminar in Thailand on Dynamic Facilitation (DF) with Jim Rough from the United States. Since I have been playing with the idea to combine OST with DF. What happens if you could visualise the conversations in the group(s) using the DF approach using the four flipchart. I have been working and facilitating on many complex issues such as HIV/Aids, drugs, conflict in Southern Thailand, the social situation in Myanmar, justice reform in Thailand etc.  using often OST as one integral part of my workshop designs - most of them multi-stakeholder workshops. But still I feel something is missing in the OST group sessions. Has anybody of you successfully experimented / worked with a combination of DF and OST so far? What are your experiences? I assume one bottleneck will be the lack of Dynamic Facilitators.

By the way - to my surprise I found an article online on OST and Dynamic Facilitation. Here is the link

http://www.foodsecurity.org/FPC/other_open%20space%20technology%20and%20dynamic%20interaction.pdf

In any case - if anyone is interested in the Asian region in learning more about Dynamic Facilitation - Jim Rough and his partner Jean are coming to Bangkok at the end of April (27-29) again. Some colleagues and I will try to upgrade our skills in DF. So if you are interested in joining the course you can check

http://www.change-initiative.com/857/14122.html

Looking forward to hear about your ideas, thoughts and experiences.

Jost Wagner, IAF
Certified Professional Facilitator
Facilitator Forum Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand