the future of the oslist -- news and a proposal

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Fri Aug 20 01:06:25 PDT 2010

Dear Peggy and michael h,
I am specifically interested in complete archives, including what Peggy
has on her computer dating back to 1996. Of course, they should be in a
safe, permanent home. And I will contribute financially.
Regarding the other stuff, I will raise that issue in the fall boscop
retreat next week and be back to you with whatever we come up with.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

Peggy Holman schrieb:
> [...]
>>>

>>> Från: OSLIST [mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU] För Michael
>>> Herman Skickat: den 19 augusti 2010 19:38 Till:
>>> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU Ämne: the future of the oslist --
>>> news and a proposal
>>>

>>> hello all, a bit of very important news and a proposal for the
>>> future of the oslist.
>>>
>>> the oslist -- in it's current form -- will cease to exist within
>>> the next year.  i have been in contact with our boise state hosts
>>> and with the makers of the software that drives our list and
>>> archives.  i've developed a bit of a work-around plan (working
>>> around paying the software company or anyone else large sums of
>>> money annually to run the future of the list).  the softward
>>> company has confirmed for me that this (rather non-standard use
>>> of their software) is indeed technically feasible.  another nice
>>> thing about it is that it makes the oslist structure look even
>>> more like what we do in open space meetings.
>>>
>>> the oslist at boise state is done as of june 30th 2011, they are
>>> cancelling their license and migrating all university groups to
>>> googlegroups.  on that date, oslist will disappear, unless we do
>>> something to move it.
>>>
>>> IF we can find another organization to host us as bsu has, then
>>> we can (pay someone to) migrate our archive and user list and go
>>> on our merry way, subject again to the whims of their IT
>>> department.
>>>
>>> IF, instead, we choose to fund our own implementation of the
>>> listserv (brand name) software, we can migrate our archives and
>>> continue our conversation.
>>>
>>> ALTERNATIVELY, or more creatively... we can contract with l-soft
>>> directly to set-up and maintain our archive, control that for
>>> ourselves going forward, AND set it up in a way that would add to
>>> the archive going forward any postings from any other email list,
>>> like germany, europe, australia, uk, etc.  what's more, this
>>> turns out to be the cheapest option, because we only need to pay
>>> for listserv software for the archiving function, rather than for
>>> a full-blown list that will deliver to 700 people at a cost of
>>> almost $2 for EVERY message sent to the list (this assumes we
>>> would pay for the service rather than license and run this for
>>> ourselves.  harrison is fond of saying that we have done all this
>>> without a marketing department.  why add an IT department now?)
>>> this is my suggestion.
>>>
>>> and this is what i'm proposing (offering) to do now:
>>>
>>> 1. migrate all of our members to a new oslist at googlegroups
>>> (yes, googlegroups.  people who pay attention to such things seem
>>> to prefer the functionality there and since our list is public
>>> anyway, there are no issues with privacy and control of content.
>>> but we will also archive in two other places, a gmail account AND
>>> a listserv system that will keep adding all new posts to the old
>>> listserv archive.)
>>>
>>> 2. migrate the archive (12 years, i think, and on our way to
>>> 29,000 messages) to a new list that will have only one member

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 400 resident Open
Space Workers in 69 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org