Co-Creating A One-Day Open Space Practitioners Camp for Post Conference (August 28) at IAF Asia Conference in Seoul

Spark spark at openspace.kr
Mon Aug 23 20:49:40 PDT 2010

Dear OS friends,

Co-inciding with IAF Asia Conference in Seoul, we've been invited to offer a
OS training program by Mr. Yun, Chairman of KFA (korea Facilitators
Association), and  are going to launch a one-day OS Practitioners
Co-Learning Course from this occasion.

With advices from mmp, we came up with a one-day OS practitioners program
for the one-day Post Conference  on Sat., 28 August 2010 of IAF Asia in
Seoul that willl be taking place from 25-28 August.

We'd like to invite all your wisdom on staging events of this kind from your
experience.

Thanks a million to all my friends on our OSLIST community!

Here it follows...

Context ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Open Space Practitioners Learning Camp

For many, the fearless courage to Open Space has been rewarded with
fulfillment in all aspects of life. This often needs multiple tries in
participating and experiencing Open Space before enough energy gets built up
and gives self confidence to try Open Space. Open Space Practitioners Camp
from the Open Space Institute of Korea is a learning course that triggers
this natural self organizing process of learning and playing (Trying) with
Open Space. And the practice gets deepened and enriched by sharing learnings
with other OS practitioners. (Camp represents an entrance to an open space
of knowing and doing where collective individual egos naturally self
organize toward a holistic ego that lets needs of both individuals and the
whole met.)

The camp helps participants learn Open Space from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. with
experience of self organizing mechanism of Open Space and steps of
triggering it by individuals, teams, and the whole. Then on graduates are
introduced to an opportunity to keep sharing their OS learnings with the
co-participants and the community of Open Space practice at one's own pace
throughout life anywhere across the world.

Open Space Practitioners Camp

Phase I       Experiencing Open Space

Theme:                     "Creating Organizations that Work"

9:00-10:00                  Opening Space

10:00-                         Session 1

10:40-                         Session 2

11:20-                         Session 3

12:00-13:00                 Lunch with casual reflection

Phase II      Practicing Open Space

Theme:                       "?" (A real theme chosen by the group among
topics from facilitation teams)

13:00-14:00                 Intro to OST practice and facilitation teams
formed and prepared

14:00-14:15                 Select a team and get self prepared

14:15-15:00                Opening Space on the theme II practiced by the
facilitation team

15:00-                          Session 1

15:45-                          Session 2

16:30-17:15                 Session 3

17:15-                          Closing Space on Practicing OS

17:45-18:00                 Group feedback on the OS practice & intro to
ways to sustain future practices

18:00                           OS Practitioner Certificate presented & the
Camp closed

Previous Advices from mmp~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Spark,
for your Process I suggest the following:

-try to create a theme that supports action since OST is an action orienting
planning method and involves the participant. I would suggest one but am
puzzled by what "High Performance Sustainability" might mean.
Perhaps: "Creating High Performance Sustainability"...but I think it is a
bit too complex...you might try a theme that Harrison Owen regularly uses in
his workshops on introducing OST and, thinking of it, it might means the
same thing you have in mind "Creating Organisations that work" (this
contains a nice play on the word "works" since it can mean both "function",
as in "functions well" as also "produces" in the sense that there is an
output).

-you should have always at least three breakout sessions so that there is
more variety of issues and that people have more than an either or
choice...just reduce the time for each session. By stating only the
beginning time and not the end time you emphasize the idea that the time a
session will take is selforganized and follows the fact of life "When it is
over it is over / when it is not over, it is not over. So here is my
suggestion:

10:00 Break out session 1
10:45 Break out session 2
11:30 Break out session 3

-skip the reflection but suggest that during lunch would be a great time to
sit together with the food and talk about what people experienced on their
tables or the small groups that might form during lunch.

-to support the selforganisation of time I suggest you have a phase where
people can have a "reflective lunch" from 12:00 until 13:00...some will take
lunch at 12 some at 12.15 some at 12:30 and some will even skip it  because
they are in a heated discussion in a breakout session...selforganized

-at 13:00 create "facilitation teams" (if there are 25 participants, you
might create 5 teams of 5 participants each) that have 45 minutes to prepare
for running an os event. You dont make any input just give them a sheet of
paper with their tasks: Formulate a theme for the os they will facilitate,
decide who will be the facilitator, make a design for the introduction which
they had just seen which will include 3 breakout sessions and a closing
circle, here is what it might look like

13:00 Very short introduction for "Practicing OST"
13:05 Creating x number of Facilitation Teams, handing out instructions,
 5 minutes to read and understand the instructions, 5 minutes for questions
13:15 Teams prepare for facilitation
14:00 Select one team that will actually do the faciliation
14:05 Open Space run by the selected team will be set up and starts at
14:15 and ends at 17:15 (same amount of time as for the os in the morning
but the selected team decides on the time structure)
17:15 Closing Circle (this is to close the Open Space they just experienced)
17:45 Feed back for the active team by all the other participants on the OST
they just experienced (thinsk we felt were great, things that could be
improved, etc.) 18:00 Close

In this fashion, everybody actively got ready for running an OST event and
in that way can appreciate what the selected team does...serving for a base
for the feedback at the very end.
Also, since there is no input, participants really have to use their own
ressources...which will give them a deep experience with the power of
self-organisation.

Curious to hear how you will run this challenging event!!
Greetings from Berlin
mmp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spark
Open Space Institute of Korea,
Open Quest Squad
3rd Fl., Samkyung Bldg., 372-10, Seokyo-dong,
Mapo-gu, 121-210, Seoul, Korea
spark at openspace.kr
Phone: 02-353-6356
Mobile: 010-7247-0636