OS to engage the whole child?

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Mon Apr 26 11:45:11 PDT 2010

Dear Valerie,
I have had the privilege to facilitate OST events for grade schools and
various kinds of highschools and for Student Body Representatives and
for after school day care projects...
They all worked just wonderfully, the kids being the real joy in the
process.

(If you go to
> http://www.openspaceworldscape.org/

click on my name in the field "select Open Space facilitator" and then
"school" in the "select field/sector" and then hit the search button,
you will see 22 events)

Now that is OST events involving the entire school-organisation with its
inner and outer subsystems...seems OST works in those settings just as
it does in all other settings with the prerequisites in place
(complexity, diversity, urgent "business issue", potential or real
conflict, nobody having THE answer).

Often, pupils and teachers wish for just such a process in the ongoing
classroom for the reasons given in several of the posts.
After going through the prerequisites (especially also "voluntary
attendance") and some questions that speak to roles:
-Who is the sponsor?
-Who are the participants?
-Who are the planners?
it is clear that OST and the classroom in a regular school ...no way.

It seems to be a different story when entire schools operate in an OST
mode...everybody being learners/facilitators/guides/experts/...there are
schools attempting that in Germany and (I think Tova told me)in
Israel...there no longer are "classrooms" in the "old" sense...

I know that this field will be addressed in several breakout sessions in
the upcoming WOSonOS...thats especially grand because there is always
talk about this sort of stuff going on in "other" countries. Well, as of
today, there are 154 folks registered from 29 "other" countries. A rare
opportunity to see and talk with colleagues from those "other" places.
Cant wait to see that happen.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

--
Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 394 resident Open
Space Workers in 68 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org