OS to engage the whole child?

Michael Pannwitz michael.pannwitz at boscop.org
Mon Apr 26 10:34:14 PDT 2010

Dear Valerie,

yes, just 10 days ago we facilitated a prep meeting for an open space at a
primary school in our neighbor district which will involve about 150 4th and
5th graders, their teachers, parents and others involved in the school and
other services for children in the area. We were first approached by MA
students setting up a branch of the association "Bildung ohne Grenzen -
short bildog" (meaning education without borders) in Berlin. They were
scouting for a school in one of Berlins troubled so called "hot spot"
neighborhoods in order to work with the school kids age 9 to 12 (and
involving the whole system) on the question what they need & which services
are needed. The os will likely take place shortly after the WOSONOS in
Berlin. I believe space for true participation by children can be helpful.
There is one best practice approach being used in some Kindergardens here
called "Kinderwelten" (meaning childrens worlds) which facilitates
differentiation and integration through surfacing the different realities
that kids (and their families) carry with them. Reflecting their own
realities and getting to know themselves and others better through learning
about the other kids realities. However even though childrens participation
is strongly recommended in Germany - it is still practiced just emerging. We
usually tend to look at the northern countries which seem to be much more
advanced - e.g. Sweden.
Here a national debate on childrens rights just started kicked of by still
growing scandals of abuse in churches and schools. In Germany the childrens
rights to grow up without abuse and free of violence were only passed in the
years 1998 and 2000. Still not a reality here and in most countries. And
once traumatized it is more difficult to involve the whole child. Looking at
possible nurturing givens i still find the UN Convention on Childrens Rights
and UNICEFs website helpful.

PS: Is anyone out there with experience in participatory planning and
planting of outdoor gardens with kindergarden children age 3 to 6??

Looking forward to more reflection on this topic,

Michael

--
Michael Pannwitz, boscop eg
++49(0)162 - 90 88 266