Demo OS in 90 minutes?

Steve Cochran scochran305 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 14:38:15 PDT 2010

Hello, All -

I'm opening a space here in Asheville NC on Monday 4/19 that will have an
hour or less. Here's the "invitation" from today's newspaper (see the last
line of the story, that says, "...participants will break off into
groups...") - but WE know what will happen :-)

Best to All - Steve
--
Steve Cochran

Sustainability Strategies LLC
National Center for Sustainability
Community Energy *Action* Council
Sustainable Cross-Laminated Technologies LLC
US Partnership for Education for Sustainable Development

828-545-1467

+++++++++

*Public Participation wanted for Monday’s Energy Independence Town Hall
Meeting*
**

Asheville area residents are encouraged to come and take part in the
conceptual development of a Property Assessed Clean Energy plan for the City
of Asheville at a town hall meeting on Monday, April 19 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
at the Public Works Building at 161 S. Charlotte Street. The event is
cosponsored by the City of Asheville, Buncombe County and the Blue Ridge
Sustainability Institute.

In January, Asheville City Council directed city staff to analyze the
potential for an Asheville Energy Independence Initiative. Such a system
could provide loans for efficient and renewable energy upgrades for
privately owned buildings. The loans would be repaid over up to 20 years
through a special property tax assessment.

Municipalities across the country are examining the idea as a way to provide
an affordable means for energy efficient retrofits for residents and
businesses that benefit the entire community by lessening its carbon
footprint.

Asheville City Council’s adopted strategic plan for 2010-2011 lists green
and sustainable initiatives as high priorities.

City staff plans to bring suggestions for the plan back to City Council in
May, but wants as much citizen input into the initiative as possible.

"We need our citizens to be part of this process," said the city's Office of
Sustainability Energy Coordinator Maggie Ullman. "We need to build this
based on the community's input."

Panelists for the discussion will include Council member Brownie Newman,
Buncombe County Commissioner Holly Jones, Jeff Hughes, Director of the
Environmental Finance Center, UNC School of Government, Paul Bellows of the
Blue Ridge Sustainability Institute, and Steve Cochran from the Community
Energy Action Council.
Following the discussion, participants will break off into groups to discuss
various logistics of a PACE initiative for Asheville.