Demo OS in 90 minutes?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Thu Apr 15 10:56:14 PDT 2010

I've done ones that short, not with any great glee, but it was the right process for the right time.  It works fine with a small group.  Obviously a group of 100 or more in a 90 minutes session is a big ask because the sheer numbers of people moving around eat up time.  I once had 90 minutes to do OS with 200 people and it clearly wans't going to work (especially with all the tables in the room).  So instead we did a World Cafe along the lines of a design that Michale Herman posted a few years ago where essentially you have people at a table crack questions related to the theme in the first round and then have people move around the tables and see what conversations are being hosted where.  Groups can choose to address a question at the table, or the host can lead the conversation or two or more tables can deal with the same juicy question.

It worked very well (especially because we were using big tables that seat 8 and that's really too big for the traditional cafe conversation, but big enough to hold groups between 2 and 10 comfortably, so the group sizes did vary.  The opening round was about 10 minutes and then we did two round of 20 mins each with a 10 minute popcorn summary.

Cheers,

Chris

----
Chris Corrigan