Where did 2 1/2 days come from?

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Sat Apr 3 01:27:18 PDT 2010

Dear Doug,
when I started facilitating os-events I was still employed by the
Protestant Church of Berlin as an OD-consultant. Most of my work was
with parishes and most of the participants were working folks who were
able and ready to follow the invitation to an event that started
-Friday afternoon (about 3pm and could go to 7pm)
-Saturday all day but not before 10 am so people could still do their
weekend shopping (the hours shops were open was much more regulated back
then, 1996, then today)
-Sunday, sometimes in the morning but often in the afternoon so that
participants could attend worship services, get a lunch at the event at
about 12:30 and stay until 16:30, enough to do a thorough Action Planning.
So, thats how a 16 hour event spread over 3 days became fairly common in
my first year (1996-1997) with 16 events in that year.
There were shorter events (4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours, a day and a half,
etc.) but it was very impressive to see how "16 hours spread over three
days, sleeping twice" differed from shorter designs, even from 16 hours
(same amount of time) spread over 2 days, sleeping once.
(By the way, "16 hours spread over three days, sleeping twice"  has long
been the "formula" with the Future Search crowd).
Later, when I worked with os all over, and also facilitated two full
days and a half I could not really find those additional hours in the
morning of the first day adding much to the os...half a day, a whole day
and half a day seemed to work just perfect...it was also the only design
where I never heard anyone saying in the Closing Circle "we should have
had more time" or similar statements. These time related statements are
always to hear in shorter designs.
I have never been in an event or facilitated one that went over more
than 3 days BUT I have heard of such events and as I remember folks
involved in them felt that the additional time had not been needed.
This seems to be supported by remarks in Closing Circles where people
occasionally have said that now they are ready to go home and move on
and that the time was just right or that they didn't feel they could
continue..."happily exhausted", someone once said.
I have read about longer os events in a brochure issued by the Peace
Corps that used os in their trainings quite a while back...would not be
surprised if they still do.
The WOSonOS this year in Berlin employs a full 2,5 day design...and as
far as I know that has been its design regarding the length for many
years. The use of Action Planning in the last half day is now also being
employed every now and then but I think was not part of the early
tradition...it will be part of the design in Berlin.
I see you and another 10 folks from the USA are coming...great
opportunity to have a breakout session on that topic. Having a total of
presently 126 people from 25 countries attending will definitely provide
plenty of diversity not to mention High Play, High Learning und no small
amount of Productivity and Fun!
Here is the link for those of you wanting to see the updated information:
> http://www.boscop.org/events/508-wosonos-2010

You are all invited to come!
Greetings from springtime Berlin
mmp

--
Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 389 resident Open
Space Workers in 67 countries working in a total of 139 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org