OSLIST Digest - 15 Apr 2010 (#2010-89)

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Fri Apr 16 07:05:39 PDT 2010

On Apr 16, 2010, Annamarie Pluhar wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has opened space for a 90-minute session? And if so,
> how'd it go? I'm thinking it would take 20-30 minutes before groups started
> talking, so there may be time for one session? Closing circle of 15 minutes?
> It seems too short to me. I'm asking because I'm considering proposing OS
> for a group that meets once a month of between 20-40 people.
>
> Harrison will say go for it.  I'm wondering whether anyone has.

I'm not sure what Harrison would say, but I did it once, and I am reluctant to do it again.  I know a lot of people here do it, but I say give me at least four hours.

To me, in short sessions, the space just doesn't open.  It's like they get a foot in the door and can hear what's going on inside, but they're not really at the party.  People can certainly witness the technique this way, but I think they miss the magic of richer interaction, multiple choice and the feeling that time and is their own.

Ralph Copleman