Open space with youth 9 - 16?

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Sun Sep 20 14:06:15 PDT 2009

Hi Brett,

In the several OS events I did with youth (e.g. leadership development
events for aboriginal kids, high school students from across the province,
etc), what stands out is that, even though OS is a totally natural way of
being for them, they are nevertheless extremely touched and encouraged by
the fact that adults actually show them this trust by allowing them to make
their own choices throughout the event.

To add to the many ideas offered in previous emails on  FUN things: colored
socks distributed at registration contributed to create an atmosphere of
coziness, closeness and fun.

In events where the theme was on violence towards young girls, separate
events for girls and boys were created to create more safety for
discussions. Because of possible traumatic experiences, at the outset, a
councilor was identified to the group as someone that can listen and help.
That person mainly stayed at a conversation corner that had a reassuring,
private atmosphere.  That corner was also made known to participants at the
opening circle.

I also love the mix with adults who's closing comments are generally how
they are blown away by the contribution of youth.

Youth, like any OS participant, become so responsible in OS --- as long as
they have passion for the theme ie the intention of the meeting. In the
opening, I  encourage shared group responsibility for facilitation. Skills
are recognized and others are given a chance to develop them. I do the same
with adults and it seems to create a more level playing field.

It's always a boost for me to hold the space when youth are around.

Diane