Open space with youth 9 - 16?

Shannon Hecker shshanny391 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 09:27:12 PDT 2009

Hi Brett and all,

I have just finished an Action Research Project engaging gr. eight boys in
conversations around the theme of  masculinities/male youth culture using
OST within their school setting.  They were super engaged and active in the
process and remarked on the freedom to explore the theme in this format.

Central to their conversations, and explored in depth, was the impact that
media has on their lived experience.  Of particular interest to my research
was how these boys interogated ideas of masculinites in order to address
issues surrounding gender based violence.  A heavy topic for adolescent boys
to tackle, but made  fun and challenging  by opening up the space for them
to explore whatever they felt compelled to explore!

This was my first time facilitating an OST event and, within a school
context, which typically has curriculum and intended outcomes for students
and some fear around addressing social issues, I was scared of how OST would
be embraced by educators and administration.  There was trepidation and
uncertainty but I expressed excitment that those are great conditions in
which to conduct research and go forth with OST.

To sum it all up, I am excited for you and your plans to engage young
people.  Many, many surprising discoveries, and emerging
possibilities await....Have Fun, Shannon