aperiodic grid?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Oct 5 07:52:31 PDT 2009

how did you decide on the times, doug?  how does this sort of schedule not
presuppose somehting about the rhythm of the day that we can't really know
about in advance?  thinking another way, if the timing we post matters, then
we'd best get it right.  which would  have to be pretty lucky.  and if it
doesn't matter, then why mess with it?  so, even as i've wondered about such
arrangements, and tried occasionally (in minor ways, just to fit time slots
to client constraints on total time) i don't know how we could ever make any
standard at all.

for that matter, how do we decide between 1.5 and 1.0 and 0.75 and other
same-length slots, other than some gut sense of what wants to happen, seems
like it might work... or what will fit?  in short OS sessions we often have
to choose between 1.5 and 1.0... a 3.0-hour block forces a choice between 2
x 1.5 or 3 x 1.0 sessions.  i always thinik about this as a choice between
depth and breadth. in more established groups and older issues, i usually
opt for 1.5s..  in groups just forming, esp community groups with fewer
connections, i tend toward 1.0s, so that we get more issues raised and more
people meeting more others in more sessions.  more voices.

anyway, what drove the creation of this schedule and what do you think
happened differently because the times were all funny?

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com
http://www.ronanparktrail.com